عنوان مقاله [English]
Received: 03/08/2019 | Accepted: 07/09/2019
The relationship between faith and reason can be discussed at two different levels. One is called Rreligious Eepistemology which deals with the rationality of faith, and while the second level deals with the relation of a set of data available to the human mind because of revelation and what is available to human mind throthough his reason.. In this paper I argue that the prominent way of justifying faith in contemporary Shi‘ite t Thought is the argument from the data of reason. Regarding to the relation of the data of revelation and the data of reason, we must consider three forms of it separaetely. In the case of a contradiction of revelation and the reason, they usually give the priority to reason and use the method of interpretation (ta’vil) for making them cohernt with each other.. In such cases whereich reason and revelation have the same assertion or revelation says and reveals what is beyond reason without the contradiction between the two, they usally accept revelation as the source of knowledge.
* Ph.D., Professor. Department of Islamic Philosophy and Theology, University of Qom, Qom, Iran. ׀ Javadifirstname.lastname@example.org
🞕 Javadi. M. (2019). Faith, Reason and Revealed Knowledge in the View of Shi‘a Scholars. The Journal of Philosophical-Theological Research, 21(81), 59۔72. doi: 10.22091/jptr.2019.4710.2196.
- Abd al-Jabbar, A. J. (2006) Sharh al-Usul al-Khamsah, Ed. byAbd aI-Karim Uthman. Cairo: Wahbah Publication.
- Abrahamov, B. (1993). Necessary Knowledge. In Islamic Theology. British Journal of Middle Eastern Studies, 20(1), 20–32.
- Adams, R. M. (1987). The Virtue of Faith and Other Essays. In Philosophical Theology. New York: Oxford University Press
- Alston, W. P. (1993). Religious Experience and Religious Belief. In R. D. Geivett & B. Sweetman (Eds.), Contemporary Perspectives on Religious Epistemology (pp. 295–304). New York: Oxford University Press
- Audi, R. (2003). Epistemology: A Contemporary Introduction to the Theory of Knowledge (2nd edition). New York: Routledge.
- Badavi, A. (1994). Mazaheb al-Islamiyyin. Beirut: Dar al-Ilm.
- Esfahani, M. (1398 AP/2019). Abwab al-Hoda. Qom: Ma‘ref Ahlulbayt.
- Fanaei, A. (1389 AP /2010). Akhlaq-i Din Shenasi. Tehran: Negah-i Mo‘asir.
- Geivett, R. D. & Sweetman, B. (1993). Contemporary Perspectives on Religious Epistemology. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Golding, J. L. (1972). Faith. In P. E. Edwards (Ed.), The Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Vol. 3, pp. 535- 537). Macmillan Publishing Co.
- Helm, P. (2001). Religion. In L. C. Becker & C. B. Becker (Eds.), Encyclopedia of Ethics (2nd ed., Vol. 3, pp. 1472- 1475). Routledge.
- Hick, J. (1972). Faith. In P. E. Edwards (Ed.), The Encyclopedia of Philosophy (2nd ed., Vol. 3, pp. 529-534). Macmillan Publishing Co.
- Javadi, M. (1375 AP/1996) Daramadi Bar Khodashenasi-i Falsafi (An Introduction to Philosophical Theology). Qom: Ishraq.
- Majlesi, M. B. (1403 AH/1982). Bihar al-Anwar, vol. 96. Beirut: Ihya al-Torath.
- Malcolm, N. (1992). The Groundlessness of Belief. In R. D. Geivett & B. Sweetman (Eds.), Contemporary Perspectives on Religious Epistemology (pp. 92–104). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Morris T. V. (1992). Pascalian, Pascalian Wagering. In Contemporary Perspectives on Religious Epistemology (pp. 257–270). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Muttahari, M. (1384 AP/2005). Majmu’a-i Aathar (a collection of works), vol. .20. Qom: Sadra.
- Muttahari, M. (1387 AP/2008). Tawhid (Oneness of God). Qom: Sadra.
- Plantinga, A. (2000). Warranted Christian Belief. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Shirazi, S. M. (Mulla Sadra). (1422 AH/2001). Al-Fatawa al- Wazeha. Markaz al-Ab-hath
- Soroush, A. (1377 AP/1998). The Theoretical Contraction and Expansion of Religion: The Theory of Evolution of Religious Knowledge (in Persian). Tehran: Serat.
- Tabatabai, M. Ḥ. (1972). Al-Mizan fi Tafsir al-Qurʾan, vol. 1 & 16. Beirut: Mu’assasat al-A‘lami.
- Tusi, N. D., (1405 AH/1984). Talkhis al-Muhassal (known as Naqd al-Muhassal). Ed. by Bidar Far. Qom.
- Wolterstorff, N. (1983). Introduction. In A. Plantinga & N. Wolterstorff (Eds.), Faith And Rationality: Reason and Belief in God. Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press.